The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Thursday February 4, 2010 at 13:11
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On February 4, 2010 at 03:51, frenchaxim said...
so the short answer to my question would be is when you get a Crestron system, it cannot properly control everything, but you should choose the devices based on their RS232 capabilities?

I am not sure what you are saying/asking here. Crestron (and any control system) can control an IR device properly. Some IR devices have discrete ON and OFF commands and Input 1 Input 2 etc commands. This is usualy good enough to have complete control over something. Devices that dont have discrete commands can have their power state reliably controlled with power sensors. The control system checks to see if the device is drawing power and decides to send the POWER toggle command if it needs to.

RS-232 can provide 2way communications. So you get discrete control over ON and OFF and INPUTS but you get information back from the device. The control system can ask "are you on" and the TV reports back "yes i am". Not exactly like that but you get the idea. And just like that imagined conversations.. the volume level can be sent back to the control system.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse