The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Thursday March 9, 2000 at 05:18
Joacim Boive
Historic Forum Post
What a killer argument.. :)

Yes, I read the thread earlier. I don't think I'll have so much use for Remote controlling my Pronto connected comupter thru another computer, if you know what I mean.. ;)

Eventually, when I get the voice control setup, the way I want it, I will be looking in to controlling the pronto by phone. "Press 1 so start recording.. Press 2 to stop current recording" etc... I think that would be of much greater use, to me at least.

This voice control thing is getting a bit out of hand, according to my friends a family anyway. A genious is rarely appreciated in his own time, right? ;)

When you (George) first gave me this idea, my intent were to use my workmachine (IBM Thinkpad 770) to handle the voice control. But after a few hours of struggling I discovered that you can't use an ordinary microphone to do the job, because of the way the hardware connection is set up. There's a way round this but troubles gave me a new idea of a more permanent, and better(?), installation...

I have an old Pentium 200MMX witch I will use for this purpose instead. My intent is to have a custom made box for this computer. What's good with the laptop is it's low noise level, compared to my stationary computer. So I think that by removing all unnecessary equipment, like videocard, soundcard etc etc, I should be able to make it almost quiet. The ultimate solution would be to place it in a sealed "DeskPro"-like box, expermints will tell if that will be possible.

I bet your wondering:"What if you make modifications to your pronto layout?"
Well, I'm already in the process of creating macros that will handle potential updates to the layout/functionality of the pronto. Transfer of files from computers will be handled by a program called StarGate, that will be running at all times. I'm also going to install PCAnywhere on it so I'll be able to remote tune the computer if anything goes wrong. Scheduled restarts of the hardware is also handled thru macros.

I think I have all bases covered.

In retrospect I MIGHT agree that I've gone a bit overboard with this idea, but I think it's kind of cool and I'm interested to see how far I can take it...

Next project will be to control the VCR thru a phone, schedule taping, start, stop etc.

Regards!

Joacim Boive

Hosting Services by ipHouse