Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 210 made on Tuesday August 15, 2006 at 00:18
limey1332
Lurking Member
July 2004
Screen lockup - Here's what worked for me

CLEAN THE SCREEN - I mean really clean the screen. You need to take off the blue cover and clean the edge of the screen. Over time stuff (dust, grease, wine, and food) will accumulate around the edge of the screen and get trapped under the blue plastic surround. I'm not talking chunks of food it may be a smear of liquid that has dried. You need to look closly I used a magnifing glass. This will interfere with the sensitivity of the screen. Note that there are conductive metal strips that run round the outside of the screen just under the blue plastic surround.

I cleaned all round the edge of the screen after removing the blue cover and my tsu3000 works like new. I mean it. I had no problems calibrating the screen and problems getting the smaller buttons to respond without having to repeatedly press them have gone away.

My theory is that overtime gunk can build up around the edge of the screen which explains why this problem affects tsu3000 after a couple of years of use.
Also, most of the solutions that have been suggested in previous threads (such as cleaning ribbon cables and contact points) that have met with some success all involved removing the screen surround. I suspect this removed some of the gunk and resulted in the screen working again.

I do believe that Philips is aware of the solution but they are not going to ask people to take the thing apart and do their own repair. That would be like FORD sending you the part and asking you to fit it instead of issuing a recall.

One other important point don’t always expect the screen to work after cleaning, you may need to recalibrate the screen. I also downloaded the latest firmware which forces you into the calibration screened. I had previously downloaded the latest firmware before I cleaned the screen and that had not fixed the problem so I knew it was not a Firmware issue. But that was the easiest way to recalibrate the screen.

There is a reference with the new firmware that this fixes the screen lockup issues. I think they have adjusted the sensitivity of the screen which may help if the build up of gunk is not to severe. However, over time it will eventually lockup or not respond to the right button press and then you need to clean the screen.

I have not included instructions for removing the screen surround they are in previous threads.

I was almost at the point of trashing this unit. But stick with it and let me know if you have any success.

Good Luck.

Last edited by limey1332 on August 15, 2006 01:40.

Hosting Services by ipHouse