Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Friday April 28, 2023 at 14:42
buzz
May 2003
On April 28, 2023 at 09:32, shokwaverider said...
Retired Engineer please, and it is true we do, but only when folks imply we are stupid.

It's not just engineers. This is a risk for anyone who is proud of their specialty. Too many feel that it gives them a leg up on any technical issue. I deal with my share of arrogant electricians who seem to know everything about everything -- except how to make stable low voltage connections and how to avoid nicking the wires in network cables.

I had one experience that was laughable, but I managed to restrain my giggle. I had just finished repairing his receiver. There was a known issue with a power supply regulator and some bad PC board connections. It was a very straight forward repair and there was a manufacturer's bulletin. As he picked up the unit he asked a reasonable question: "What was done?" I explained and he challenged me with "I'm an electrical engineer and you should have replaced the IC" as he stormed out. There were no IC's on that power supply board. One symptom was the FM tuning meter was pinned off center. Yes, there was an IC involved (on another PC board) there, but it could not function if half of its power supply was missing.

Hosting Services by ipHouse