The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Friday January 1, 2010 at 11:14
Glyn
Long Time Member
November 2006
My own opinion of UEI/Nevo is lower than dolphin sh*t...

I hear what you guys are saying and I would like to add that I always try & support my dealer wherever possible - hello Frank if you are reading this! :-)

However my own experience of UEI/Nevo has not been favourable and I can only speak as I find.

I bought a nearly new Nevo SL from a colleague at work who had purchased it from an authorised dealer in the UK who went out of business shortly after.

It was too complex(?) for him to program and without any support from the Dealer or Manufacturer he decided to sell it...his original receipt was of no use to him.

So I bought it not knowing at that time the SL had a known runaway IR problem that only affected me now & again but was more than annoying especially when you consider this was a £650 ($1051) remote control and the manufacturer would not entertain the thought of even entering into a discussion with me about it let alone issuing a fix.

It is also particularly fussy about what router it connected to and how that router is set up so much so that I had to set up a second SSID in my house just so the the SL could talk to it and even that was like walking a knife-edge with regard to encryption etc.

The only reason I put up with it was because it was a joy to use.

Then after a few years the battery refused to hold a charge and, once again, I was left holding the baby...

Now I am in the market for another remote and despite the Manufacturers couldn't care less attitude and the snobbishness that surrounds the remote am considering an S70...yeah I know I must be mad but as I said it was a terrific remote.

However to buy this in the UK would cost me £900 ($1500) and I do not know whether the Manufacturer would ever act to fix any issues that may subsequently come to light (such as the runaway IR on its previous incarnation), I do not know how fussy this may be with regard to wireless access points nor if I will be left with another paperweight once the battery had reached the end of its life.

I could buy the S70 from eBay for £400 ($650) although I understand I would not receive any support from the Manufacturer - not that I ever did by purchasing a legitimate remote anyway so I would have little to lose in any case.

However the whole UEI/Nevo experience (fiasco) has soured my opinion of the Manufacturer to such an extent that I would begrudge paying even £400 for one as I would not want UEI/Nevo to have any of my money.

So what to do?

Either way it is a gamble...pay the extortionate rate for a new one and maybe end up with no support again or pay bottom dollar from eBay accepting that I get no support from Day One?

Or stick two fingers up to UEI/Nevo and spend my money on a competitors product?

So...at the risk of upsetting the natives here (and it pains me to say it of course) UEI/Nevo deserve everything they get and if that means their product line ends up being sold on eBay due to their reluctance to act, poor dealer support & non-existent end-user support then so be it.

Shame...real shame.

Happy New Year to all of you! :-)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Hosting Services by ipHouse