The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Monday November 28, 2005 at 23:54
ckelly33
Long Time Member
April 2004
Nah, its not overkill if its the remote that you like. Although I already have WiFi and I PLAY with the server features of the Nevo, it is a Home Theater Remote 99.9% of the time.

The WiFi isn't really necessary if you will have a direct line of site to all of your components AND you don't want to use the server aspect, but it does add another dimension (which you can always add later).

THe programming does have a bit of a learning curve. I'd never done it before either before my pronto. At first, you'll wonder what you've gotten yourself into but after an hour or two of simply experimenting you'll find yourself on your way. Take that professional programmer line with a grain of salt. If the Nevo requires a pro, then the Pronto should too. Both are just a new program for you to learn. In many respects, the Nevo is much easier than the Pronto to program for (& vice versa).

You'll start out with a layout (probably a template to start with) and you'll get all of your commands programmed in to the Nevo (the software makes this very simple by using a device model # lookup). The next step is a little harder and takes more thought: MACROS. I started with my system off and wrote down which remote and which command I used for easch step (power ups, inputs, etc.) then I daisychained these commands together into one large command. I did the same for going from one device (watching DVD) to the next (watching TiVo), etc. It's not that hard if you step back and realize that you do a macro everytime you use multiple buttons and multiple remotes. You're just gonna fix it to where that's all done with the push of a button.

Once you get it up and functional, the personalization begins. I'm constantly changing mine around, refining it, whatever. Soon, you'll have a remote that no pro could've fixed up for you. One that thinks like you & looks the way only you could've envisioned. But to get there is gonna take a while.

Then you buy another component (as I just did) and here it goes again...

Hosting Services by ipHouse