The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Saturday January 7, 2006 at 00:09
jdanon
Long Time Member
January 2006
I think pclark is right. What benefit does a company gain by limiting a product to just dealers? There really is no justification. Of course a dealer/installer is going to say this is necessary because that is their livelihood (duh!), just like an auto mechanic would say you need to bring your car to the shop for an oil change when you can just buy and change your own oil. I've been in the software development business for a while, and I can tell you ten years ago I couldn't imagine people putting together their own home networks, creating web sites, working with complex databases, or writing their own software (yes complete with GUIs, albeit with watered down programming languages).

I'm not knocking any dealers/installers particularly, I just think if that's truly UE's business model I can't see them selling too many of these things. I love my Nevo--it's by far the best remote I've owned hands down, and the software really is easy to use. Nevo fits a neglected market for remotes that fits perfectly between cheapo $100 universal remotes and multi thousand dollar fully customizable remote systems and it would be a shame if its success was limited by a stupid marketing scheme. I think as more people see it they will want one, especially for those with smaller or medium sized systems with a half dozen or so components that they've put together themselves. The software is drag and drop and not that much harder to create a project than creating power point presentations. I really don't buy the "it's complex so a dealer needs to do it!" argument. That to me is a dealer or installer trying to justify their existence.

If UE creates a solid product in Nevo with decent software and a remote that just works, they don't have to worry about support. The internet will take care of the secondary support issues as it seems to do more and more nowadays anyway (when you have a problem do you google it first or spend an hour on the phone trying to get a hold of someone at the OEM's tech hotline?). If people are looking at this product then price is probably not the issue, but a product that's hard to get is. Oh yeah, UE not providing us "end users" access to the dealer site is lame. We paid the $800, so we are equally entitled to updates, tech support, etc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse