The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Sunday December 31, 2006 at 13:23
jdanon
Long Time Member
January 2006
The font I didn't have was Arial Narrow. Usually I use something like Tahoma. I believe Tahoma is the font that has to be installed by Windows because the font used by menus and dialog boxes is Tahoma. I guess I just missed a page in my project and it was accidentally set to Arial Narrow when I created it on my laptop. Apparently my desktop PC does not have Arial Narrow.

I contacted Nevo tech support about this, and they responded within 24 hours. Actual disk (file) corruption is pretty rare these days, so they should think about changing that error message to something a little more specific. They should probably do a couple of things, one is to add a file validator that can parse a project file and figure out what external resources such as fonts are missing and give a more specific error message. The other thing they can do is use default generic resources when the specific one is not available. Instead of not letting me into my project file, how about defaulting the Arial Narrow font to something else like a web page does? Obviously Nevo Studio can't control the environments in which project files are created or opened, so at the very least the software should be a little more intelligent than just outright locking you out of your projects.

I got lucky for a couple of reasons. The first being that my project was small, and for me to go through the project to find the offending page wasn't too terribly difficult, just a little time consuming. Secondly, I still had the machine available that created the project file in its original configuration so I still had a PC that could at least open the project file. Had I not had that, I would have been in trouble as there would be no way to open the file and even attempt to correct the "problem".

Hosting Services by ipHouse