suggested by Nevo support. I still can't believe that
this unit will be tossed in a trash can. There has to
be a flash/update that can restore the unit, maybe not
with its original ID. I'm very disappointed in UEI's
poor customer service.

I respectfully disagree with your negative comments regarding
buying online. A very prominent member of RC Central
currently sells Q50's on Ebay.

I'm happy to say that if I find out who it is, I'll be the first person to report them to Nevo.

Are you saying that you wouldn't buy from this person?

With an unequivocal "Hell No". Only fools buy parts online, and expect a manufacturer to cover the warranty, when the manufacturer explicitly says that NO ONLINE SALES ARE ALLOWED. Did you ever consider that maybe the reason the remote was being sold online was that someone else purchased it, and had a problem with it? Don't go into the crap about it being unwrapped, either. I have 3 different local sources that will wrap a product for me for $5.00 any day of the week.

I left 2 messages at each of the "dealers" that are listed on
mynevo.com when I query my zip code [33458]. I didn't
receive a response.

Unfortunately, that happens. All you can do is try and call them again.

I then purchased the unit where I was able to find it.
It's not the end users responsibility to buy from the
"right place". The bottom line is the unit was brand
new in the box, and was deemed faulty by the manufacturer.
They should stand behind their product.

Again, Brand New in the box, is relative. Why would somebody buy something online, when there's a chance that it's not new, and again, when the manufacturer states that NO ONLINE SALES ARE ALLOWED. Maybe you should talk to the person you bought the remote from.

Standing behind their products is no problem at all. I have been a Nevo Dealer for quite a long time now, and have a few of their original remotes in my own home. I have yet to experience a lockup, as you described. In the last 3 years, I haven't ever run into that situation. Maybe that's the difference between actually being trained and certified on the product, and blindly buying one online.

I haven't heard of a car dealership refusing to perform
warranty work on a car because the consumer didn't buy the
unit from them.

This is probably the worst and most unintelligent argument I have seen on RC for at least three weeks. Have you ever bought a new car from a dealership? A Manufacturer's warranty is only valid for the ORIGINAL PURCHASER, and only inside the Manufacturer's warranty period, at ANY AUTHORIZED DEALER.

Wow... that sounds almost EXACTLY like the warranty that you'll find on basically every piece of home electronics that are sold in the U.S. HMMMMMMM???

If UEI is going to sell products that are so volatile
and finicky they need to support them. I only hope the
editors at S&V, Electronic House & CE Pro are fair about
publishing letters from consumers, because if I have no
recourse with a brand new/faulty product, then I intend
to dissuade as many consumers as possible from purchasing
a UEI product.

Boo hoo... This is the part where I don't feel sorry for you. It's not Nevo's fault that you may have received a faulty remote, nor is it Nevo's problem that you bought the remote where you did.

Let's put it this way: Imagine that your next door neighbor bought a brand new home, and that brand new home had a brand new dishwasher in it. If he kept that dishwasher, he would have a warranty on it. If he sold that dishwasher to you, with it unused, and still with the sticker on the inside of the door, the warranty still WOULD NOT transfer to you. Why? Because he was the purchaser, and not a distributor of the product. He was not factory trained or certified to sell the dishwasher. The warranty ended when he sold the dishwasher to you.

There are very few AV products that have a transferable warranty, and Nevo is not one of them.

As you can see, I'm not pulling any punches here. As a Dealer, it costs me time and money to become certified to represent and sell these products. It pisses me off when somebody that has access to these products sells them in a place where they shouldn't, because these exact problems happen. It's really not a good thing for somebody like you to have a product that might be bad, because you won't be happy with it from the start. What compounds the problem is that you also have no warranty on the product, which is even more frustrating for you. Now the snowball starts. You come on and post here, and it'll get to the level where you'll be cussing and griping to everybody you know about how bad the remote is. Flapping your lips, instead of doing things correctly, will cost someone else money, and there is the root of the problem.

You said in your post that it's not the end-user's responsibility to buy from the right place... Really??? Would you buy a loaf of bread from a shoe store? Would you buy gas for your car from Circuit City?

Maybe you should look at it like this: it's the end user's responsibility to make sure that the get what they pay for. It is their responsibility to make sure that they are investing their money properly...

By the way, I have a bridge for sale.

Last edited by Evohome on July 12, 2008 17:06.
And buyer beware of a man who chooses to be judged by numbers and salary, with no regard for character or integrity. Peter Gammons, ESPN

Hosting Services by ipHouse