Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday May 3, 2001 at 23:58
alpha2data
Historic Forum Post
This is similar to my recent post in a different thread, but is not a "fix". It is to avoid initial problems out of the box right at the onset of the original installation of the NiMh pack in the Pronto.

Here is what I think is the bottom line...

When intially installing the NiMh pack, do NOT have the bottom inside edge of the NiMh pack touching the bottom of the tray in the Pronto until after you have almost completely swung in the NiMh pack per the following.

Align the four springs so that they are seated in the indentations in the NiMh pack and without the bottom edge of the NiMh toughing the bottom of the battery bay, push downward on the NiMh pack against the springs, this may take some pressure, and rotate the it straight in toward the Pronto battery bay.

Once the NiMh pack is perfectly parallel and in position, if you slowly release the downward pressure on the springs, the NiMh pak will move toward the contacts along the upper edge of the battery bay and the center plastic tab will be in perfect alignment.

At that point you may have to push down on the large outter surface of the NiMh pack to fully seat it into the battery bay depending on how you handled the prior step, but you should not have the problem of mis-aligning/bending the small contacts since they should already be in alignment.

Using the above method you will not chance scraping the lower/upper inside edge of the NiMh pack on the contacts in the area of the upper edge of the battery bay, but actually wind up applying the intial pressure with a vertical motion as opposed to a downward motion.

This is a LOT harder to write than do. So, I hope you all get the picture.

You may also hear a snap/click as the as the upper plastic tab on the NiMh battery fits into the bay, but it should not be the "scraping" sound that some have described.

If you get scraping, there is a good chance that the upper edge of the NiMh pack was too high too early with respect to the distance from the springs due to insufficient downward pressure placed on the springs, and you will most likely then have the problems that people are describing.

I have been able to install remove the NiMh pack multiple times without problems using the above methodolog.

I would also add that the DS1000 kit I was using for this, was a return from someone who initially had problems with it. Since it was open and I couldn't resell it as new, I decided to use it as my test unit.

I never experienced any of the problems with it that the initial recipient indicated they had.

Additionally, I have never seen a "bad" DS1000 in any of the many we have shipped. It has always come down to fit/installation.

This is due to the fact that a mis-alignment seems to be created if the "swing in pivot point" is too low. That mis-alignment will then cause undo pressure and scrapping against the contact points in the Pronto battery bay on the opposite side of the springs.

The presence of the s/n tag should not have anything to do with this.

-Bruce
alpha2data
on eBay

Hosting Services by ipHouse