The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Wednesday June 20, 2007 at 22:29
randman
Long Time Member
June 2003
ossocao - thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I'm not sure I would like the form factor of the TSU9600. Unfortunately, there's no brick-and-mortar stores nearby that actually carry the TSU9600 in stock for me to get the feel of using one.

Yes, the higher resolution of the TSU9600 is nice. However, other than aesthetics, buttons in a remote can only be made so small - our fingers aren't getting any smaller, and using a stylus is no fun. Thus, I don't see being able to add much more buttons on the TSU9600's screen versus the TSU7500.

Since I already have a TSU7000, getting a TSU7500 would be much easier, since I can reuse my graphics and learned codes. Old/retired equipment in my home theater usually go to the bedroom. If I get the TSU7500, I would use the TSU7500 in the home theater and the TSU7000 in the bedroom, and all my old programming can be very easily reused. Minimal programming changes. And, the TSU7500 is fairly mature, so I don't see running into unexpected behavior or bugs.

If I didn't already have a TSU7000, then I might be more willing to undergo the effort to spend lots of time programming a TSU9600. I still remember the challenge of porting my old TS1000 CCF to a TSU3000. I thought I would spend most of my time redoing just the graphics, but nope, I spent most of the time debugging the TSU3000 and its software, and relearning remote commands that worked flawlessly with the TS1000. It took a year's worth of TSU3000 firmware updates from the time I bought the TSU3000 to the time it worked reliably so that it was able to replace my TS1000.

The thought of how much time I would need to spend to port my PCF to a TSU9600 XCF is discouraging me fom getting a TSU9600. Granted, it's a lot of fun playing with a new Pronto and I would like having the option of using RS232 (primarily for its two way capability, which is not yet available... all my hardware have discrete commands, so IR is really all I need, theoretically). However, at this time, I don't have the free time and won't have any for a while. I figure there's something wrong if I spend more time programming a remote than the time I actually spend enjoying my home theater!

I also did the math, and getting a TSU7500 and an RFX6500 is less than 50% of the cost of getting the TSU9600 and the RFX9600 serial extender (which I would of course want to get if I got the TSU9600).

I'm thinking for now, I'll skip the TSU9600, and maybe wait until the next generation..... (assuming I do have the free time in the future).

Hosting Services by ipHouse