Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 119 made on Friday September 16, 2005 at 20:14
bmduke
Lurking Member
September 2005
Hello to all!
Well you can add me to the list of failed Pronto TSU300 touch screens.
My problem began on the 31st of Aug 2005 and I immediately went to the Philips website looking for a solution. As you know that was a wasted effort. After reading all the posts in Remote Central and trying all the solutions, except the PeraV solution for ribbon cable connection to the screen, I decided to contact the ProntoTeam and copy Mr. Paul Zeven via email. The results were the same as many in this forum – there was no response. After much frustration with the phone support from Philips and no response from the Pronto team I sent the following email to complaints.com with a copy to Mr. Paul Zeven.
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 12:48 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
Subject: Philips Pronto TSU3000

I am forwarding this email to your attention to make the general public aware the Philips has a major problem with their Pronto Remote, model TSU300.
As noted in the imbedded email the unit is now totally useless due to the touch screen freezing.
Today, 2 Sep 2005, I contacted Philips Tech support once again and spoke with a supervisor who would not admit Philips had a problem with this product but reiterated to Philips costly replacement policy. He was kind enough to give me a “general” address I could write to at Philips to document my problem. I have little confidence that I will get a response or a solution considering the address is to a large organization and not a focused customer support group. I have not had a response from the original email to [email protected]. Many owners of the same unit on the RemoteCentral.com forum are complaining about the same problem and lack of support from Philips.
Please read the imbedded email and draw your own conclusion. Unless Philips reacts to this product issue they will lose customers.

Regards,
B. Michael Duke

Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 11:38 PM
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: '[email protected]'
Subject: Pronto TSU3000 Unresponsive Touch Screen

Dear Proto Team,
Enclosed you will find information related to the problem I am having with my Pronto TSU3000 remote.
It has come to my attention after researching this issue on the internet that there are many other owners of this unit who are having the same problem. Many stories of frustration can be found on RemoteCentral.com. I will list the links at the end of the email for your reference but I am sure you are aware of the site.

The following are the particulars of the hardware and the events:

Model: Pronto TSU3000/01
S/N: 82387552
Dated of Purchase: 08 Nov 2003
Dealer: Tweeter Home Entertainment Group, Newington, NH
Firmware Version @ the time of the problem – version 3.1.15
Firmware Version currently installed – version 3.6.7
Power: Rechargeable Batteries and Pronto Docking Station

History: This unit has not had any other issue prior to the current subject described below. The unit was in perfect working order the evening prior to the occurrence.

Date of problem: 31 Aug 2005
Description of problem: The touch screen is unresponsive. The hard buttons are operable. The back light is functional.
Resolution Steps & Results:
1-Rest the unit – unsuccessful
2-Removed rechargeable battery and replaced with 4 AAA batteries – unsuccessful
3-Upload configuration (for backup) to PC – successful (no error messages)
4-Downloaded & installed the latest firmware, version 3.6.7, from [Link: pronto.philips.com] – successful upgrade with no error messages.
5-After firmware upgrade the unit is now frozen on the calibration screen (unresponsive touch screen)
6-Contacted Tech telephone support (888-486-6272 Re: Ref # 16SH2) – unsuccessful – tech support confirmed I had tried everything on their list and suggested I replace the unit with a refurbished one for $146.86.

At this point I am without a remote control unit which cost in excess of $400. Your tech support has only requested that I spend more money to resolve the issue. This approach is not a solution to a widespread problem!
There has been some discussion of a resolution on Remote Central but it is my practice to get the latest information from the OEM.
Is there any solution to the problem of “Unresponsive Touch Screen”?
If there is not a solution what action is Philips taking to satisfy there loyal customer base.

Your assistance in the matter will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
B. Michael Duke

Reference links:
[Link: remotecentral.com]
[Link: remotecentral.com]
==========================================
On Tuesday Sep 6, 2005 I received a phone call from Philips Electronics Presidential Liaison stating that they wanted to provide a no cost exchange. Needless to say I was impressed with this response but I declined the offer at that time since I had managed to get the remote functioning again through my persistence of upgrading the same firmware. At least the timing of the events led me to believe that was the solution. The Liaison stated the offer would remain open if I had further issues. Yesterday, 15 Sep 2005 the unit stopped working again. This lag corresponds to other forum members who have reported on again off again conditions. I have not been able to recover this time through the same methods so I resorted to calling the Liaison and requesting a replacement. They gladly cooperated and the unit will be shipped to Philips tomorrow.
One note of interest is the humidity levels at the time of the failures. Each time I had a failure my local humidity was very high due to rain storms. These conditions may have contributed to failures. Who knows! Let Philips figure it out!
I would suggest members who are having problems take the issue outside of the forum to Consumer Complaint Groups and always copy Mr. Zeven so he knows there is a problem.

I would like to thank all those who have supplied solutions and guidance within this forum. I hope some of the information I provided helps others.
I am honored to be a member!
Mike

Hosting Services by ipHouse