The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Wednesday October 31, 2001 at 20:29
Eric Johnson
Universal Remote Control Inc.
May 2001
Manufacturers really won't pay attention until the mainstream press pays attention. You all would do more good by writing to consumer reports, stereophile, Home Theater etc. The reviewers there don't pay any attention to these qualities!

Actually, given the size of the companies and the diversity of their offerings (including the many independent factories who sell components on contract to them), I think many companies deserve to be singled out for praise.

Only a few years ago, Marantz and Sony were the only ones manufacturing ANY components with discrete codes.
Today, many other manufacturers are beginning to see the light.

However, they are SO MUCH more responsive, than the press, who obviously are COMPLETELY satisfied with the way things operate. At least Sony, B & K, Marantz, Loewe, RCA, Proscan, Mitsubishi, Runco, Nakamichi, Yamaha and Krell make a LOT of their components with discrete codes and/or anchored solutions for one touch macros.

I remember a few years ago, wearing a PR hat for an Automation System Manufacturer, going to a famous home theater guru's house and installing a system capable of one touch macros with a pile of TOADS.

While I was preparing to program, I asked his wife what she liked to do with the home theater. She told me and I made sure that the automation system not only did what he wanted, but what she wanted too (one touch to her common activities, VCR and TV; plus simple screens to control those two devices).

A month later, I called to see how things were going and the guru admitted disconnecting the system. He literally felt, "that he wasn't in control of the system anymore." After I pressed for the problem, he admitted that he liked feeling like he was the only one capable of operating the system and that the automation system belittled his abilities.

This attitude needs to be stomped out in the professional audio/video press. You all need to start actively writing the press about their ignorance of automation issues like discrete codes.

Everyone should write their favorite and not so favorite magazines about this problem.

Believe me, if Consumer Reports were to give points for discrete codes in their reviews, every single manufacturer would very quickly have discrete codes.

Best Regards,
Eric

Hosting Services by ipHouse