Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Monday March 3, 2003 at 09:03
rhm9
Founding Member
December 2001
Thon,

I do charge more for fixing but as a guy who does mostly retrofit work... I get tired of it. Jobs done by the homeowner or guys like the one I described have an absolute 100% "something is f----d up". Not once have I seen it done right.

If I sound a bit pissy in the other post remember that I was trying to keep an interesting debate alive by taking on the personna of the Union Guy. I am laughing about the cabin job because we've already been called twice by the homeowner looking for advice and the architects are ready to strangle the rookie because he picked out big ugly speakers at Magnolia Hi-Fi and plans to mount them in very ugly places (including on the log posts which will have visible wiring in wiremold coming down them and going along the exposed rafters). We just told them to fire him before the damage gets too great...but advice isn't free. They now have to pay us for a system design or call someone else.

I'm still PO'd about the video and won't get over that one. These guys have made all of their income selling to professionals and now wish to "HOMEDEPOTIZE" our fine industry ( which will undoubtedly add to more snafu'd systems... those in which the "please help me" call will never come prior to sheetrock).

I just had hardwood floors laid in my house. I almost felt empowered to read a book, rent the tools and do my own job even though I had always hired it out before... you know, to save money. Then I gave it a long thought. Instead I spent the whole weekend playing with my kids while the pros came in and did a fantastic job. I didnt have to destroy my knees, rent tools that were most likely inferior to the ones these guys own, suck up a headfull of sawdust... and I ended up with a good looking floor instead of one that might be obviously a "Homeowner job" to those in the know.

Anyway,

Even though I sound grizzled I'm having a lot of fun and really enjoy the info I get out of here and the different points of view.

Hosting Services by ipHouse