The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Monday February 24, 2003 at 20:08
ChicAugur
Long Time Member
January 2003
Sorry I was all tied up posting my Union comments on a thread I had no business doing so on. I should have started my own but thanks to rhm9 I don't have to do that.

I hear what you're saying rhm9 and I can tell you that here in Chicago the Union is considering their own version of what happened to you in Washington. Only it is a more reasonable approach than what happened to you.
Chicago wants a State license for all practicing electricians. Personally I don't mind this too much because it aims to eliminate lots and lots of "jacks-of-all-trades" guys going in and doing everything they can get their hands on. The only problem with this is that they do so without ever drawing a permit to begin with! These people will always be a thorn in the sides of all professional contractors- they often work for cash,and have undesireable work habits but unfortunately I don't see them going anywhere.

Mandatory Electrical class licensing, in my opionion is a joke in a world where your work is scrutinized by owners, architects and most important, inspectors. The people that do their best in this world to make it as a contractor do so hopefully because they have become competent in their field of work. If they aren't, they won't be around for long.

The good thing about a licensing test is that doesn't discriminate. It is open to any and all, Union or Non. and if you're qualified, you will get your license.

Licensing here in Chicago attempts to ensure that each shop has at least one competent and qualified person. Here they call it the Supervising Electrician and no electrical contractor can operate legally in the City of Chicago without Him/Her.
If a shop does work without meeting code specs. or fails to draw a permit and is caught, there is risk of a fine and the more severe risk of losing the license altogether. So it does serve a worthwhile purpose by creating accountablity which should be what licensing is all about. Unfortunately, I can see the Union spinning ways to get there feet wedged further into doorways they so obviously already busted the latch and bent the hinge.

Hosting Services by ipHouse