Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 142 made on Tuesday February 20, 2007 at 14:42
Dean Roddey
May 2004
On February 20, 2007 at 08:49, joshod said...
The price chain I think you are referring to only applies
to our builder packages. If you want a custom setup, as
a dealer you can spec out a job with whatever pieces and
parts you want/need. As for the GUI, from my experience
with custom install, I would have to agree with Julie
J. in that custom GUI's are really more the programmer's
focus than the homeowner's. Most folks just want something
that looks clean and works well.

But this is a custom installer forum. They want to differentiate themselves. Most 'folks' aren't going to it themselves, they are going to go to an installer to get it done if it's going to be done at all. Each installer company wants to 'brand' their product just like you do, and GUI customization is a way to do that. It also allows them to support non-cookie cutter requirements of the customer which is kind of important unless they are looking to be the Burger King of installers.

And I just can't see where you guys get this idea that it's not important. We've put huge amounts of time into the customization aspects of our interface design system, and it's still not remotely enough and we are being beaten on all the time to provide more.

Here are some examples of the breadth of look and feel that customers have created:

Every customer has an idea of what is really cool and wants to create penis envy in their neighbors and differentiate themselves. They also commonly want it to match their decor. If you cannot provide this type of interface flexibility, I can't see how you can compete.
Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse