Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Wednesday June 12, 2002 at 13:34
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
Echo:

Thanks for the compliment on the Alias layer. To be honest, I can't take credit for using an abstraction layer. That's been a common software design techniqie for decades. And honestly, I can't even take credit for being the first to use it on the Pronto: Years ago, Andrea Whitlock created a superb implementation of it to make it easier to program multi-digit channel buttons. My innovation, if it is one, was to use the concept of an abstraction layer between the functional buttons and the IR codes. That layer of separation makes it possible to reprogram an entire CCF in one or two hours instead of ten or fifteen hours.

Actually, if you made a "basics only" EasyTheater CCF with just a TV, VCR, DVD, Receiver, and Cable (or other tuner) box, you could probably reduce customizing time down to an hour, and still have the full EasyTheater user interface intact. (I even implemented the delays in all macros through an abstraction layer, so you could adjust the timing of the macros without even opening their Action lists.)

Thanks again,
Dale
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse