Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Wednesday August 27, 2008 at 00:59
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
Crestron programming in non-retreivable unless it is downloaded
a certain way and even then it is not a completely working
program to work with (not 100% certain on that)

As far as i know (unless something changed recently), you can't edit the compiled file on the processor. You can backup the compiled file (pull it off the processor) but you cant edit it.

On August 27, 2008 at 00:47, Impaqt said...
We are writing custom programs for specific applications
with proprietary licsensed software. We are not selling
out programs to the clients, we are selling the functionality
of the system.

Thats what i have always said.

When you buy a mercedes you get what it has and you pay for anything you want to add or change (stereo, tires, interior). You dont get schematics and software to upgrade it. Same with a TV. You get the TV a remote and a manual and thats it. You dont get source code.

Some argue that homeowners get stuck when they want to add/change something to a Crestron (or similar) system and they dont have the code and the original CI's dont come thru. It sucks to pay 10k to a new guy just to add a new dvd player or change some favorite channels.

The answer is to charge for the code and leave a copy with the client. That way you wont care if they go somewhere else because you got paid. CAIP's usually give the code to CI's when they outsource programming so i dont think its unfair to give the client a copy if they pay for it. Any modules you create while your being paid for programming are a bonus for the programmer because next job you get to copy/paste it and charge the same as you did when you were creating it.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse