The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday July 8, 2003 at 19:49
schalliol
Founding Member
August 2001
I would like to find a way to either broadcast IR from my machine or control a power circuit (X10?) from it on an OS X Command. The idea is to cool down my equipment area when temparature reaches a certain level in different zones of the area (contains 4 computers and network gear in fairly close proximity).

Here's what I want to do (yea, I'm a bit nutty, but oh well):

I have an APC Smart-UPS with Web/SNMP Card and a dual probe temparature/humidity Environmental Monitoring Card in an expansion chassis. Through APC Network Shutdown 2.0 for OS X I should be able to have the system to run a UNIX command whenever a high temparature mark is eclipsed from the system. That part should now be pretty easy (given the hardware and software.

Now, the making a command through a peripheral that broadcasts either IR to an IR controlled fan I have near the network area or a different fan through a normal AC power connection. If I wanted to get fancy, I could command different speeds or rotation of the fan depending on which zone was tripped (External 1, 2, or UPS internal). So, how to emmit a learned IR signal? I do have a Pronto from Philips that I can use to read the IR signal and theoretically re-emit, but what hardware can emit this signal, i don't have any, unless I somehow used my Pronto, which I would not be doing since it would be in another room. If the IR isn't a possibility, has anyone used a Mac to control X-10 devices? If so there might be some way to run an OS X command that emits a signal with some hardware/software over the power line to turn on or off the device.

Thoughts? :)

Hosting Services by ipHouse