The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday November 12, 1998 at 00:26
Will Cunningham
Historic Forum Post
Howdy,

In a stroke of good luck, I managed to get a pronto before they sold out a little more than a week ago. I live in New Hampshire and ordered mine from New York (they are still sold out as far as I know).

I wrote a quick description of my 1st impressions and figured I would follow that up with some impressions after using it for over a week.

The new toy factor has not totally worn off yet, but I am definately _loving_ the remote. I have become very comfortable with it and have even started to use it without any conscious effort. What I mean is, for most operations I don't have to think about what I want to do, I just do it.

I have to pay attention when I go to perform operations I don't normally do, but I am pretty sure that is because of the way I set things up.
Here is an example of what I mean. I use my VCR to watch TV 90% of the time, and I set the 'enter' key to be in the top right corner of the keypad pannel. On Wednesday's I tape a show on one channel, and watch another using the input right into my TV. I setup the TV's keypad pannel to have the TV's input select in the top right corner because it does not use an enter key and there wasn't a big enough button left over in the upper left corner.

I don't consider that a big problem at all, I barely notice it and I actually had simular issues when I used the TV's original remote. The good news is that I am willing to bet that if they release the software/serial cable I could re-layout the TV's control pannel and totally fix the issue.

I am using the two hardkeys at the bottom of the remote for fast forward and rewind and have found that to be really good for me. I end up taping a bunch of TV shows each week, and like to fast forward through the comercials. I always seem to overshoot and need to rewind a little bit too. I programmed them to using the jog and shuttle fast forward and rewind.

I wish there were an easy way to describe how each device's control pannels are set up. I think it would be neat to see what other people did and see if we could come up with the ultimate configuration. :)

I am definately at the point where I would not want to do without my pronto and I don't have any trouble recomending it to anyone. I hope it becomes more available soon because I am sure other people would love it too.

Take Care,

Will

Hosting Services by ipHouse