Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Wednesday November 11, 1998 at 10:45
Timothy Morris
Historic Forum Post
From th Philips press release:

"Ready for Future Home Electronic Components
As new technologies are implemented into future consumer electronic devices, Pronto can easily be expanded to meet the user's needs and requirements. New A/V components can be added to Pronto through the simple customization process and through the two-way RS232 communication serial port that uploads new configuration files."

According to Jack Schulz, who is a dealer who reads this list: "I know Philips is working on the software, it’s just a matter of timing. The current Prontos do have a serial port on the side to accomodate software revision changes."

So it is certainly planned. Philips would be mad to disregard this feature as 1. The Lexicon has it (and the Pronto should be able to compete against the Lexicon, even though it is $1500 cheaper), and 2. The Microsoft remotes have it.

Although the scale will be smaller I expect a similar battle to emerge between Pronto and the Microsoft remotes as we have seen between Palm Pilots and the PalmPC. I would not be surprised if Philips look at pricing too. The MS remotes do seem to be about $150 cheaper.

Tim.

Hosting Services by ipHouse