Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Sunday December 27, 1998 at 04:22
Robin
Historic Forum Post
WARNING: The following post contains sweeping generalizations and may offend some users. Read at own risk! ;-)

The lack of Macintosh support for this product seems to be a bit odd. (To me, anyway)

It may be true that the Mac only accounts for small percentage of the computer market*, but the Pronto is not a mass market device. It is being marketed to those people that have (argueably) more than 6 components in their A/V system and are willing to spend good money to simplify the control of their system. Of the people that I know that fall into this catagory (I can think of 9, including myself), only two people have a Wintel PC. I would bet that there are more Mac users interested in your product than you think.

A connection kit (cable/software) for the Mac would not be significantly more expensive. The cable would likely be the same cost as the PC version, and the software, could be ported for a fraction* of the development costs for the Windows version. Most Mac users are used to paying a premium for the right product, you would be doing yourself a favour to remember that when trying to sell a $400 remote control.

Also, I noticed the default interface for the Pronto is, very obviously, "heavily influenced" by Apple's HyperCard. The Home button is almost pixel-for-pixel exact and the buttons and text are very similar. I am not implying that you owe anything to Apple, just that a Mac user would likely find your product to be more familiar and more likely to buy the Pronto than a competeing product. One of the main reasons why I am considering buying a Pronto is the interface. It is very clean and intuitive which, by the testimony of the posts on this site, makes the product very easy to setup and use. Coincidentally, this is also the very same reason why Mac users insist on using the Mac OS. And, probably, why Windows users don't know why the Mac is so great.

(I warned you about the sweeping generalizations)

Robin

*There is a great article at [Link: MacKiDo.com] that covers this subject.

Hosting Services by ipHouse