The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Sunday December 20, 1998 at 16:16
jack schultz
Historic Forum Post
Clay,
I completed the integration of Pronto to SmartLinc in one of our "demo" rooms yesterday. Works great!
In essence, the Pronto has one button X-10 commands for main "events" such as MX-130/DVD, MX-130/Laser Disc, etc. These one button events (X-10) actually fire macros within SmartLinc. The idea is that power control is still an issue that SmartLinc needs to handle because Pronto can't know the state of power of each piece of A/V gear. However, after an initial selection is chosen, Pronto can talk directly to the equipment oc course, no problem (conflicts) as the appropriate gear is already powered. Of course this also provide full lighting control via TouchLinc dimmers as well as any other device like screens etc. HouseLinc has some great "probes" for monitoring equipment state via high and low voltages present, video present, light present, etc. They are connected back to the HouseLinc system via BOBs (Break out Boxes) so it really provides for great overall control. One day soon, I expect that SmartLinc will build an actual IR to HouseLinc data bridge of their own but for the time being, I am doing via an X-10 unit which takes the IR from Pronto and converts it to an X-10 signal that HouseLinc uses to fire the macros.
Of course because HouseLinc also links to TouchLinc, the hardwired TouchLinc can also run the same set of commands that Pronto has available, although not to the degree as it really has no purpose. The preferred method is of course fully wireless.
However, I really see that both systems have their purpose and especially when they're linked because there are places in the home that a "wall mounted touchscreen is preferred over a wireless type.

Hosting Services by ipHouse