The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Monday December 28, 1998 at 20:22
Pat Clark
Historic Forum Post
Guys and gals;

Certainly this is not a Mac vs Wintel forum. There are plenty of other forums out there that this continuing debate can be directed towards. While I (a Mac & PC user/administrator) certainly would not mind seeing a Mac version of the software, a developer must obviously make their choices based upon market share and the all-mighty $$$.

However, I do take issue with regards to the constant flaming of us vs. them vs. whoever. Can't we just all get along? A user selects an OS based upon their own individual needs and desires. Could we not put our collective minds to better use by educating, and providing each other with good, solid and informative information to help others make the best decision/selection possible instead of the constant posturing and bickering of "my OS is better than yours?" Both OS's have their individual strengths and shortcomings. *Neither* are perfect.

Case in point. I have been looking to lose my 9 remotes 'cause I really don't wish to look like a remote geek. But after stumbling blindly into this forum and gathering other good info elsewhere also, I made my decision to go with the Pronto. Why? Because all of the people here provided information and their opinions (good or bad) and this helped me select the Pronto instead of a Marantz MK II.

So, Robin, if you read this, you'll want to get a PC emulator from Insignia or Connectix. This will allow you to run the Pronto editing software on your Mac. It will also allow you to run virtually all PC software as well. But be *forewarned*, these are emulators and you will pay a definite speed penalty. You'll be wanting to use this on the fastest Mac you can with lots of RAM. But at about $140-180, it beats buying a whole PC if all you need to do is edit Pronto. Yes, I know, spend more money, but let's face it, your options at this point are limited.

Your other option is to bug the heck out of Philips. If they hear enough out of the Mac community, they just might port it over.

Just my 2 cents.

Hosting Services by ipHouse