The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Tuesday June 3, 2014 at 10:42
DeuceTrinal
Long Time Member
January 2010
On June 1, 2014 at 22:58, Audiophiliac said...
Can someone cite any sources that explain the need for the pair separators and load bars on CAT6 ends? And why they are not required on CAT5e ends? I was told that they are required for certain certification/qualification standards that exist in some govt./military/corporate jobs. But I cannot remember who told me that and if I trust them. :)

I have used CAT5e ends on CAT6 before in a pinch and did not really think twice about it. The internets made it to the other end ok. :)

Just curious. I would love to not have to deal with the 2 and 3 piece stuff as well. But I have done it enough that it is not a problem anymore. You do what you have to do. I would rather do the thumb busting CAT6 terminations that deal with mini RGB....especially the stranded stuff.

In the Fluke DTX class they explained that it's about avoiding cross talk between pairs. The higher certification speed of the Cat6 spec means crosstalk is much more important, as the faster data rates are more susceptible to signal degradation due to it.

The big difference between cat5 and cat6 connectors should be in the sizes of the grooves that hold the wire, as cat6 is thicker. The pin should theoretically be slightly longer, and the jacket crimp not as tall.

RJ45s are insulation displacement connectors, which means that if they are properly fitted and crimped, the pin should have a contact area with the wire that is completely sealed off from the environment. The seal is created when the pin crushes its way into the wire, through the insulation. Punch down terminations work the same way, for the same reason. 

The issue with EZRJ45s as I've been taught is that the cutting action tends to ovalize the conductors at the tip, squeezing and thinning the insulation in between the conductors. This can lead to crosstalk at the tip, even if the cable does not show a full short on a continuity tester. Try cutting the tips yourself before crimping. That way you don't even need an EZ crimp tool.
More zip ties!

Hosting Services by ipHouse