The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Thursday October 18, 2012 at 08:10
rgbyhkr
Long Time Member
October 2002
On October 17, 2012 at 20:10, kgossen said...
I think you're not getting any response because nobody cares. How long have we had Deep Color ready TV's and projectors?? Try and find a Deep Color Bluray!

By the time 4K is actually available, you'll have moved on.

I would agree that many of the HDMI format tweaks have seen little adoption and use in practice. My gut tells me that 4K will land somewhere above 3D, but below HD. In other words, it won't cause mass purchasing replacement of older TVs, but it will have greater adoption than 3D has had to this point and that we will see an eventual widespread content shift from HD to 4K. To me, that makes it a future feature that is worth thinking about. At that point, would the bleeding edge have moved on to the next thing? Sure. But we can see this one is on the horizon now and since infrastructure components like the DM are far from cheap and sit at the core of your distribution system, understanding what they are capable of seems reasonable to me.

That being said, does Crestron do trade-ups? I mean, if the current crop of DM units could not handle 4K, would they offer upgrade paths to the new infrastructure hardware? I know this is something more commonly seen and discussed in more direct consumer facing hardware, but it seems like a fair question to ask. My guess is that they don't and the only solution would be to entirely replace the unit and possibly the associated cards (assuming current cards could not be used in a newer design). It may be that given Crestron's target user base, this pathway is just accepted as normal business. If so, I won't challenge that, but I would like to know up front so I can make informed decisions and set expectations for the future.

Hosting Services by ipHouse