Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Thursday August 10, 2000 at 19:20
Mark
Historic Forum Post
I don't think this is much different than the big automakers preventing direct sales of cars through the net. Why? Because the local dealers will still have to support a car that wasn't purchased from them. It undermines authorized dealers and hurts them to the point where there won't be a profit.

I am not defending Philips, I just like to at least try to understand both sides. I don't see a problem with Philips limiting sales to authorized dealers. And if they find out a distributor is selling to "unauthorized dealers" then they have every right to stop selling Pronto's to that distributor.

As far as purchasing the Pronto from Circuit City, Best Buy or Walmart (yeah,right!). I would have done that in a heartbeat before buying mine off the web. The Pronto is not typically the type of thing I like to buy on the web, but I had little choice. That is why I bought mine from an authorized dealer that I found about in this forum. Good price, good support.

Personally, I think Philips may just trying to protect the reputation of product and service (however good or bad that is). But more likey they are just trying to make the thing more available. They are mistaken though, if they are doing this simply to sell as many at MSRP as possible. Stores like Circuit City and particularly Best Buy have buyers that will eat them for lunch!!! Sharks, they are doncha know! Good for us! I have never found a deal on the web that was good as a sale at Best Buy. Never had problem returning anything either. Just bought an open box DVD for only $109!!! It had no remote, but who cares! I have a Pronto! Heh heh. Seriously though, that was a $200 DVD player they were selling for $109 simply because it had been opened and the remote was missing. And because I was buying from them, I knew I wouldn't have any problems returning it if there was a problem. Plus they even threw in their $20 DVD calibration/demo DVD thingy for nothing!!!

So long story short, I do feel bad for onehitwonders.com, I really do. I have much respect for Yahoo shops. Always a good deal, and incredible service and support from all Yahoo shops. I shop Yahoo shops exclusively at Christmas. I think they are getting a raw deal. But I tell ya to be honest, if the Pronto had been available at Best Buy and it was within $50 of the price I paid through online sources, I would have gone to Best Buy (even though the sales people are dumb as rocks for the most part, but certainly better than Circuit City where they are dumb AND obnoxious).

Summary: Hey Philips! It's kewl that you want to go with big chain stores, and we know they probably put pressure on you to limit web competition, but we don't like it!!!!

Does that help?

Mark

Hosting Services by ipHouse