The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 26 made on Tuesday June 15, 2010 at 17:44
Lowpro
Select Member
March 2004
On November 17, 2009 at 02:15, Lowpro said...
I recently purchased a new TSU9600 which has yet to exhibit this issue of the screen activating on its own. My original TSU9600 exhibits this behavior without fail so long as it's not docked in the cradle. Take this evening for example. Both remotes are running the same firmware and configuration file. Both are sitting on the couch next to me as I watch Monday Night Football. Both on the same page of said configuration file. My original TSU9600 after the first few minutes sitting there activates the screen on its own. Once it goes to sleep the screen activates on its own yet again a few minutes later. Eventually it begins happening repeatedly getting stuck in a loop. The screen activates on its own. A few seconds later the screen goes out per the settings of my configuration file and exactly 4 seconds later the screen activates again. It repeats this cycle over and over again until I dock the remote. I leave it docked for a few minutes, then undock the remote. The screen stays off for a while eventually activating again on its own. Note that with the remote docked the screen has yet to ever activate on its own. In contrast the brand new TSU9600 I recently purchased has yet to have the screen activate on its own. The clear difference between the two remotes is that my new TSU9600 has the updated scroll wheel used by both the TSU9400 and TSU9800. My original remote of course does not.

That being said, this certainly appears to be a hardware issue. My original TSU9600 has exhibited this behavior since I first starting using it. This goes all the way back to when I was beta testing the remote and editor for Philips prior to the remote even being available for purchase. One thing I've always suspected is that perhaps the remote is activating the screen on its own, because it thinks the scroll wheel has moved even though it hasn't. Moving the scroll wheel forces the screen to activate even if it is not implemented per the particular page you are on. Well by complete accident I have on one occassion so far witnessed the remote registering that the scroll wheel is moving even though it isn't per actions being carried out on the selected page. In this case, the remote was sitting next to me on the couch. It just so happened to be on my "Activities" page which I had recently programmed to allow for selecting a given activity using the scroll wheel. No activity at the time was selected. Per the usual the screen eventually activates on its own. I look down at the remote and see the first activity on the page become selected, then the selection starts moving from one activity to another all the while I'm not even touching the remote. The only way this is possible is by pressing the cursor down hard button or moving the scroll wheel, so clearly the remote was under the impression that the scroll wheel was being moved even though it wasn't. As such, it's certainly not a leap to come to the conclusion that the remote is registering that the scroll wheel is moving even though it's not which as a result is causing the screen to activate on its own.

Now as I just recently starting using this new TSU9600 I plan to take the next few weeks to ensure this issue of the screen activating on its own does not occur. So far so good. Needless to say I'm very pleased at this point. If after a few weeks I still find my new TSU9600 is not exhibiting this issue I'll send an email to the ProntoTeam per my findings.

Since originally posting the above back in November 2009 I am happy to report that my new TSU9600 (which contains the updated scroll wheel also used by the TSU9400/9800) has yet to ever have the screen activate on its own, undocked or docked, irrespective of what version of the firmware I have installed. Has been over 7 months of heavy daily use. My original TSU9600 which I've had since beta testing the remote prior to it being available for purchase presented this issue during the beta test (I reported the issue as a bug) and continued to present this issue through every firmware and editor version that has been released to date though not always as drastic as described above. Certainly appears in my particular case to be a hardware issue. That being said, my original TSU9600 finally bit the dust. On a brighter note, I finally have a TSU9600 in the new one I purchased last year that I don't have to rest face down when not in use as this was the only way with my old TSU9600 to not be utterly annoyed by the screen constantly activating on its own.
LP Related Links:
View my profile to access various
links to key posts and downloads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse