Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday January 5, 2010 at 08:25
russ fulks
Long Time Member
June 2003
Daniel,

It's a shame that the variable tracking wasn't considered a success because it certainly has been a hit around my house. In fact, my father was in town for Christmas and was so impressed that he's asked me to find one for him. He was specifically impressed with the "help" feature. He travels a lot for work and gets a good number of calls from my mom about "which input does this need to be on", etc. And they have a universal remote that I programmed for them.

The problem is that their equipment has quite a few TOAD devices and they don't reliably point the remote at the equipment, nor do they reliably use the remote to turn everything off :) The simple answer is to retrain them, but we all know that's not so simple. He absolutely LOVED the fact that the URC remote told him exactly what input, setting, etc each piece of equipment was supposed to be on (which is much better than the Harmony's "did that fix the problem" method). That way, even if the remote for some reason couldn't get the equipment on the right setting, he could manually get it there.

There is definitely a market for a smart remote with a help system, especially if Harmony keeps offering up the junk they have been offering up (quality wise). I truly hope URC doesn't abandon this market.

Hosting Services by ipHouse