The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Wednesday December 9, 2009 at 20:12
wogster
Long Time Member
November 2009
On December 9, 2009 at 04:43, Bruce H.Campbell said...
snipped

Miami Vice....1st NTSC stereo, so much so that I ran the audio out on the Toshiba to the old regular Beta and just used the tuner inside for video, gave me imputus to go for a SuperBeta/w NTSC stereo for all those Phil Collins' tunes!

I guess I should have been more specific, of analog TV's probably well over half are monaurial, I had one mono and one stereo up until the stereo one's picture tube started dying, and replacing the tube would have cost more then the TV originally had.  For digital TV's it's likely that most will be stereo using the built in speakers, few people will care about whether it has 5.1, 7.1 or even 69.1 sound capability.  Those built in speakers are often tiny and tinny, so the broadcaster boosts the bass to make it sound reasonably good under those conditions.  Many probably have never listened to see if it sounds good under 5.1, because 5.1 is a very small portion of their customer base and it's not worth the cost of bringing in a sound engineer and obtaining the equipment to test it.  Think about it, OTA is a small portion of today's TV market in Canada.  Of that small portion, a small portion have implemented more then 2.0 sound.  The majority of folks have cable or satelite, it doesn't really matter what the broadcaster puts out Roger$ et al will monkey with it until your expensive surround sound system sounds like a dollar store AM radio anyway.....

Hosting Services by ipHouse