Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 89 made on Sunday September 27, 2009 at 05:04
2nd rick
August 2002
On September 23, 2009 at 20:41, QQQ said...
Rick,

We are often on the same page but do you really think anyone cares much whether a lighting system is din based?.

OK, after some words from my pal Q and others, and some time spent investigating the Clipsal/Square-D sites, I retract PART of my statement that Clipsal/SquareD is offering a square peg in a country where round holes are standardized.

I like that SquareD has various sizes of dedicated metal enclosures for their DIN systems which would appear to meet NEC requirements.

The other major platform offering DIN who I was most familiar with (Vantage) only suggested plastic panels from sister company Legrand. Plastic must be OK for panels in Europe, but not here!! Any systems designed for use here would have had to source some Hoffman panels (or maybe Square-D!)

Anyway, part of this was a preconception, and I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of the catalog for dimmers, panels, interfaces, sensors, etc.

I would still hold out before stating that Clipsal/SquareD is the defacto product to replace vNet. There does not appear to be a suitable product for providing multiple dimmers in a module intended to be distributed in finished areas of the living space.

Again, I do not think that this is the correct approach anyway, but it WAS the way that vNet did it.

So vNet had that (stupid) vertical box with the dimmer unit that was aesthetically kinda cool looking.... If I go Lutron, I have the WPMs, if I go Vantage, I have ganged ScenePoints with a custom plate/button combo to make it appear as an attractive and cohesive unit.

It would appear that if I were to go with Clipsal/SquareD, I would have to use a dimmer in the 8M panel.... A panel I would otherwise rather only use in a utility space.

I know that condos and apartments put service panels & sub panels in pantries and closets, but I would expect a residence of a "high net worth client" (vNet's term) would be a little more respectful to aesthetics.

Also, please consider copying someone else's keypads or getting your industrial designers to stop using psychedelics and copying what they see on the dashboards of Minis, Audi TTs, neu-Beetles, and Scions.

The Clipsal Neo and Saturn KPs are pretty out there. They appear to be geared toward Gen-X skater kids, not the baby boomers with deep portfolios who actually buy these systems.
Rick Murphy
Troy, MI

Hosting Services by ipHouse