Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 309 made on Wednesday December 31, 2008 at 17:28
Darnitol
Universal Remote Control Inc.
June 1999
Bubby:

You're close here, and you're right that I didn't cover the "transfer of rights." Again, I'm sticking to copyright law here, and not the particular argument that is bugging some people on this thread.

If you buy a book, you own the physical media the book is printed on, but not the words formed by that media. So you can sell the book and by definition, the words will go with it.

Generally, if you obtain a piece of software that is included in the purchase price of a product you buy, not only are you allowed to hand over that software when you sell the product, you are required to either do so, or destroy it. However, you can't just include a copy of the software—you have to include all copies that you have associated with that product.

In the case of MX-Editor, the software has not been included in the purchase price of the remote for over a year. The implied license for use doesn't transfer with the remote because the software wasn't included with the remote.

As far as your rights to use the software for monetary gain, as far as I know, there are no stipulations against that with MX-Editor. However, I'm not in the legal department, and that question really falls into a different category than distributing the software. I know a lot about copyright law because in the past it was my job to ensure that copyright notices on the software manuals I wrote were valid when I handed over the writing to company lawyers for review.

However, at this point, I'm going to go ahead and step out of this discussion. We're at a nicely civil juncture in the conversation, so I'm going to get out of the way and just tell everyone "Happy New Year!"

In the end, few people are ever persuaded by other points of view, no matter how well-informed the other party is. I don't expect my words here to have any magical healing power or to change any minds. That's cool. But a question was asked which I happened to know the answer to and, despite the fact that it's not necessarily what some people want to hear, I decided to go ahead and provide the answer.

Best regards,
Dale
I'm a member of the Remote Central community, just like you! My comments here are my own, and in no way express the opinions, policies, or plans of Universal Remote Control, Inc.

Hosting Services by ipHouse