Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday December 1, 2006 at 12:03
StephaneM
Lurking Member
December 2006
Hello,

On September 2, 2006 at 14:31, cuillini said...
Should I get the StreamZap or the firefly mini?
So basically I need the most compatible receiver with
the most functionality. If I get the firefly mini then
I wouldn't need girder correct? I could just program
the H659 with the mini's codes? Would I then be able
to control the mouse and volume or would I still need
the girder software for that? I am a newbie so please
explain.

I would say you should go for the Streamzap because the Firefly mini is a HID device and it will be a little tricky to customize it (basically what the Firefly mini is doing is sending multimedia keyboard command) and it seems that Logitech keyboard software will conflict with the Firefly mini.

Also you should know that the Streamzap software is very basic : that is you will be able to customize the Red / Green / Yellow / Blue button (globally only and not per application) and that's all about it. For every other needs, you'll need Girder, EventGhost or my software (search for LM Remote KeyMap on Google) for customizing fully the remote.

With the Streamzap you'll be able to use the mouse and control volume without problems, though volume control will change the Master volume and Wave volume and the mouse mode (as with all other remotes) is disappointing especially when using a Harmony (the Harmony introduces delays in IR commands, so you will have to lower those delays to have a better response time).

I'm currently using the Streamzap remote with my HTPC and my Harmony 885 remote for controlling SageTV and I'm very happy with it (though I use my software for really customizing the remote as I want, because the default profiles is not so great and is using too much CPU for me).

Regards,
Stéphane.

Hosting Services by ipHouse