Original thread:
Post 10 made on Wednesday December 10, 2003 at 01:17
btwyx
Long Time Member
April 2003
On 12/08/03 10:30, CraigF said...
Can anyone point me to a discussion/debate about
the 1000/2000/3000 models?

There should be some in the archives here. I know I've posted about 2000 vs 3000 before.

If I get a 2000 will I regret missing some of
the hard buttons? If I get a 3000 will the battery
life haunt me forever?

Missing hard buttons will haunt you, the battery life won't haunt you if you get a docking station.

I replaced a 2000 with a 3000, and its stayed replaced for 8 months now. What I really wanted was the ability to program all the screen (only the middle 2/3rds of the 2000 is available for programming). With that and the hard buttons I fit about twice as much functionality on every screen. I don't like scrolling through screens so this a very big thing to me. I get much more functionality with a much more relaxed (more space between buttons) layout.

This isn't going to help you if you're not going to do your own custom layout. The built in stuff still uses just the middle of the screen like the 2000.

The bad news for the 3000 is the response. There is a noticible lag between pushing a button and the IR comming out (and this you TV doing something). This is reallly pathetic, but there is hope it'll be better in future revisions. This is really noticible if you ever go back to a 2000 from the 3000, you hit a button and something happens, just like that. It annoys me that I need to keep backing up my TiVo.

The battery life is worse than pathetic, its criminal, literally. I don't know how they can possibly claim 4 month battery life and not get sued. I get 2 days, 4 if I'm really lucky. With a docking station, this is no longer a problem. Never, ever, get a 3000 without a docking station.

The 2000 is just an expanded 1000 as far as I know, there's not much difference apart from more memory in the 2000.

So if you want to program your own, I'd go (I did go) for a 3000.

I almost forgot to mention the macro speed on the 3000 is also totally pathetic. Hopefully this will also be improved in a future update.

Hosting Services by ipHouse