The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Saturday September 3, 2005 at 16:51
Lowpro
Select Member
March 2004
On 09/03/05 10:16 ET, glendagary said...
On 9/29/05 Lowpro said:
The DVDLobby HTPC software served as inspiration
only for my PCF file. It is not used in any way,
shape, or form with regards to my PCF file and
the TSU7000. Prior to purchasing my 3 Sony DVP-CX985V
changers and the TSU7000 I did take the DVDLobby
HTPC software for a spin. I liked the idea of
automating my DVD collection, but quickly learned
for various reasons that the DVDLobby HTPC solution
was not for me.

I've beem exploring your DVD Lobby PCF for several
days now and I have a couple of questions for
you:
1. When you start up to play a DVD, I see that
you power up all 3 changers.

The only macros in my .pcf that include powering on or powering off my changers are the conditional pages that you are taken to after choosing System On or System Off from my home page.

The macros in my .pcf file which cue up any given DVD disc are built on the setup page under each respective DVD changer device. As seen in the screenshot, each slot loading macro is linked to the pre-macro button, numberical entry (slot number), and post macro button on the setup page under that same device. Those pre and post macro buttons link to the buttons in the 2nd and 3rd columns of that same setup page only. Those buttons don't include powering up a given DVD changer.

2. Do you think it would work to insert a discreet
"on" for each DVD numbered slot instead of having
all changers on throughout movie?

You can do this, but it is not required to add a link for discrete power "on" to each of the 400 slot loading macros themseleves. You only need to add a link for discrete power "on" to the pre-macro button on the setup page.

3. Each numbered DVD slot button property action
list begins with "Pre-Macro" and ends with "Post-Macro".
I didn't understand the reason for these links.
Is it just something that is particular to the
Sony changer?

This is not something particular to these Sony DVD changers at all. I structured these macros within my .pcf file this way so that they were as dynamic as possible. By structuring the slot loading macros in this fashion I only have to link the steps required prior to the disc number being entered and afterward to two buttons, the pre and post macro buttons on the setup page. If it was not done this way any time you would want to make a change to the structure of the slot loading macros you would have to make that same change individually to all 400 buttons. Ouch! With the structure I have in place here that is not required.

That being said, for my own setup I prefer to require that my home theatre receiver, hdtv a/v switch, and all three DVD changers be powered up already prior to attempting to cue up a given disc via any one of the DVD Lobby devices. That is what my System On or System Off macros are for. If you want the slot loading macros to include powering on the changer as well just add an additional link to the pre-macro button itself on the setup page for that DVD changer device. Done deal! Hope this further clarification helps.

You know I just got to thinking about what you want to do actually and adding a discrete power "on" to the pre-macro button may not be such a good idea. If you do this a sizeable delay action may be required just after the discrete power "on" in order to give the changer a chance to power up prior to the rest of the macro running. As such, these slot loading macros are going to take much longer to run irrespective of whether you have a given changer powered on already or not. I would not want to sit through that. Never hurts to mess around with it though. Have fun!

4. I've read somewhere that the Sony changers
do not recognize one another and link together.
Is this so?

This is correct. Multiple Sony changers can not be linked together. They do not recognize each other. I see no advantage in them doing so however. I would never want to use Sony's Disc Explorer interface with one changer, much less 3 linked together. The other DVD management solutions out there are not appealing to me either. The TSU7000 is all that I need. Via my .pcf file all one has to do is import a pic and link it to the appropriate slot number. The setup page found under each DVD changer device also allows one to make any needed change specific to their own setup in just a few clicks. Can't get much easier than that. :-)

Last edited by Lowpro on November 25, 2011 13:53.
LP Related Links:
View my profile to access various
links to key posts and downloads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse