Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Friday November 10, 2006 at 14:47
smokinghot
August 2006
On November 10, 2006 at 12:41, apierre said...
Flash memory isn’t likely to be damaged by magnetic fields like the ones were dealing
with here. Sandisk used to have a FAQ on their website
stating that magnetic fields shouldn’t be a concern with
flash memory.

Key words: "isn't likely", and "shouldn't"

There are countless circuit designs using both
flash memory and fairly powerful magnetic relays without
any problems,

Define powerful magnetic relays, and keep in mind "circuits designed". I work with board level circuitry, and have yet to see (by my definition) powerful relays used. Any switching that would need "powerful" relays would be done with SCR's. Here's a quick test on your magnet's strength. Take a terminal driver and hold it against a "fairly powerful board level relay" that is currently energised. Feel the amount of pull on the screw driver. Now do the same test with the magnet you're using or one like it. Notice the effort you have to use to pull it away as compared to the relay???

and I have yet to see a flash manufactures
data sheet that warns about exposure to magnetic fields.
Actually there are very few electronic components that
come with such a warning.

How many data sheets have you seen that state not to open the product's case and pour water on the circuitry???? Silly I know, but I hope you get the point I'm making. Data sheets aren't made to discribe what you can or cannot do with equipment or devices.

Another example that comes to
mind would be my cell phone: I keep it in a leather case
which has a magnetic clasp very similar to the magnet
I have used in this mod. The cell phone contains a wide
variety of electronic components including flash memory.
Every time I use the phone it gets dragged directly across
this powerful magnet as leaves and enters the case without
causing any damage to the electronics.

Open your cell phone case and you'll most likely see shielding within it.

For the record... apierre's mod in my opinion done properly wouldn't cause any problems. It's seems to be a fairly easy mod that from what I have read from people suffering from tilt sensor noise would be attempted within a moment of reading apierre's original post. However please don't take my warning lightly. In my line of work I need to examine the "worst case senario" when doing any modifications or new system development. This is what I'm stating here. My hats off to apierre for his ingenuity. Don't take my comments as attack on you abilities.
....Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Hosting Services by ipHouse