The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Friday July 9, 2004 at 04:17
wattsn
Founding Member
April 2002
Well, as of the last few days you can add me to the growing list of people who have an iPronto that will not see the wireless network :(

My iPronto has worked (almost) flawlessly since buying it (from a UK dealer) in February. I noticed day before yesterday that it had no network icon so tried the usual reboots and changing from fixed to DHCP and back again etc to no avail. What is very sdtrange is occasionally, and for no apparent reason, the network icon will reappear and I can browse etc, but as soon as the screen goes off the network icon disappears and will not come back on, other than occasionally after loads of fiddling. Always disappears immediately the screen goes off though.

I have been running firmware 1.6.21 since the beta testing and have held off upgrading to 1.6.22. However, after being directed to Philips by my dealer, who by the way were not at all interested in offering any support, but if it isn't fixed soon I'll be taking back for a replacement), they suggested I force a firmware update.

The press reset button whilst pressing scroll wheel did not work, and funnily enough the Philips guy could not get his to do that either, saying it must be server problems. I did however take a risk and when I managed to get the network icon back immediately made it do a firmware update which it did but it has made no difference at all.

I have, at this time, two observations about the iPronto.

Firstly, when it works it works well but when it doesn't it is a pile of shite.

Secondly, I would have expected far better support both from my dealer (who btw I spent over £13k with when I bought the iPronto :(, shame on you, and from Philips and believe they are letting us all down badly with this product.

Anyway, I will keep trying a number of different things over the weekend and if no joy will be taking it back.

BTW, I too have a Netgear router/wireless AP (834G) but it has worked flawlessly for 6 months so do not believe it can be that. More likley a poor software or driver implementation in the later firmware.

Hosting Services by ipHouse