Long Time Member
September 2003

Considering Philips wanted the beta testers to
test the Netxtender as part of the programme are
you surprised people were wondering and asking
where they were. It also doesn't surprise me
that someone who got theirs eraly (or had access
to one) would say that :)

Last time I checked "mine" was still sitting with Menlo (the shippers) with an outstanding £176 of import duties and charges owing on it. :)

OK - I was lucky and able to pull a NetXtender from "stock" to use for the testing. (We had had one returned as "unwanted" and since it had been opened and used then we cannot resell it as new.)

I know for me, by the time I started asking where
mine was I had realised that Philips were not
truly interested in exploring the capabilities
of the device and/or our imagination to find out
what we wanted.

No - that's true - Philips weren't wanting (on that run) to extend the functionality of the iPronto. What they were wanting to do was try to resolve some of the stability issues that people were complaining (rightly) about and from what I've seen here at work in the way of reported problem then that has been sucessfull to a quite significant degree. The number of reported "my iPronto keeps locking up" complaints has decreased dramatically (although there are still some of course) and so I feel that the exercise was in that respect successfull.

There is still ongoing work from Philips to resolve other issues which people are reporting and I do fully expect that those too will be resolved.

By this time I just wanted some
payback and just glad mine turned up before they
closed the programme (abrubtly).

OK - Fair enough ... I just wanted to make the product more stable in the first instance and hopefully better in the second instance. Mind you, as we are both aware, I now have no problems at all with my iPronto since the last set of firmware updates (other than the LCD clock on the unit is an hour out).

I'm afraid nothing Philips does (that I can see)
changes my view that they have some great products
but hugely let down by p**s poor support and leadership.
I'm afraid my view is that they are one of, if
not the, worst consumer electronics companies
out their (and I have lots of HC kit).

Believe me there are some which are much worse ... I have to deal with a couple of them!

A company is not usually judged by those customers
with perfect working products, rather by those
who have problem products, and it doesn't seem
Philips are doing too well with the latter type.

Unfortunately your dealer should have been helping you a lot more with your problem rather than just leaving you hanging - isn't that what you pay dealers for?

Phil

Hosting Services by ipHouse