The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Thursday July 19, 2007 at 11:11
tgibbs
Long Time Member
May 2004
No, I can't think of any reason why anybody would want the Nyko remote, other than to teach another remote. It would have had some value on its own if Nyko had given it basic preprogrammed universal remote features, so it could control other equipment (since the Sony PS3 remote obviously can't), but they didn't even do that.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'd be surprised if the Nyko dongle responds to the PS2 infrared remote. I know that 3rd party PS2 IR dongles do not work with the Sony PS2 remote.There is no reason why Nyko would use the same IR language, since the dongle has to convert the signal into an electrical USB signal anyway.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for somebody to produce a IR-to-bluetooth converter for the PS3. What Nyko did is relatively easy (I've seen a similar remote advertised from another company, although it supports even fewer commands than the Nyko); all they need to know is the USB protocol for the controller and they can make up their own IR code. Sony is probably keeping their PS3 Bluetooth code proprietary, or charging a bundle for licensing. So something like that would have come from Sony rather than a 3rd party. It seems unlikely that they'll do it, considering that Sony didn't even bother to do the sensible thing and put an IR sensor on the unit the way Microsoft did for the XBox, which would have obviated the entire issue. They want the real home theater enthusiasts to buy a dedicated Blueray player, not do it on the cheap with a PS3.

Last edited by tgibbs on July 19, 2007 16:59.

Hosting Services by ipHouse