The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Wednesday July 19, 2006 at 23:22
johnsfine
IR Expert
September 2002
On July 19, 2006 at 22:55, 2nd rick said...
I got it here: [Link: remotecentral.com]

I'll try that later and see what results I get.

I also have the decimal numbers for each of the
codes I need from taking the third hex and converting
it to decimal...

Good.

the converted hex is slightly off from what you
posted above

The values that differ are approximate durations. That tiny difference is totally insignificant.

I think you used an older version of MakeHex, probably the one I posted long ago at RemoteCentral. I used the current one posted on my own web space. In between those versions I made some changes to MakeHex to be more precise about approximate durations, because I came across an obscure protocol where that mattered. It doesn't matter to this protocol, so the change is neither better nor worse.

John, what did I do wrong??

For NEC1 nothing. For future use of MakeHex with other protocols, the newer version may be better.

Once I get the hang of MakeHex, I can convert
and test the following commands...

Sounds like you already know enough for that.

John, what is the significance of the second and
last hex numbers?? I saw your post relaying that
this is a check byte inversely related to the
third byte, and that was my first guess as well...
but what is the second byte??

You are asking about the four bytes encoded inside an NEC signal (and documented as such by some of the manufacturers using NEC protocol).

1'st byte is the device number.

2'nd byte is one of two different things, depending on how that manufacturer uses NEC protocol. It may be a subdevice number or it may be a check byte on the device number. If the 1'st and second bytes add up to FF then the second was a check byte and there is no subdevice.

3'rd byte is the function number.

4'th byte is a check byte. 3'rd byte plus 4'th byte add up to FF.

Please lighten up a little on the bashing.

Sorry. Sometime the only concise way to give the information sounds like bashing. My intent was to inform, not to insult. (But I always read the readme file on anything I download before saying it doesn't work. Most people posting that MakeHex didn't work didn't read its readme and I do get slightly annoyed and less polite when that appears to have happened).

Hosting Services by ipHouse