Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Monday May 27, 2002 at 23:12
Sheik_Yerbouhti
Founding Member
April 2002
John,

I'm in IT and could not overcome the heinous demons;
I just HAD to rack my system. If I had it to do over again I'd probably use fixed wooden shelving. Sliding shelving is probably going to buzz; all those little ball bearings and sliding metal tracks nearly touching each other? You hit some low notes and the vibration is going to dance the lithium grease right off the ball bearings eventually.

On 05/27/02 19:18.16, john said...
"i kinda ashume that people know what im talking about "

john, I think I'm having to read your mind again. In addition to resonance are you worried about access to the cabling at the rear of the equipment? You should be. The easiest thing would probably be to leave enough extra cabling length on each piece to slide it out and set it on a chair or stool while you fiddle. The drawback is that you can't always find pre-fab cable lengths and end up buying longer cables and "coiling snakes" behind your equipment. With stiffer cabling it can be a task to get the piece pushed back on the shelf without seeing cables popped up behind it.

Or you could commence figuring out how to access the cabinet from behind. It's much easier to manage cabling that way if you can find a way to do it.

If it's going to rest on carpeting it's going to be a bear to move when it's full of equipment and media. Some pre-fab cabinets have casters. Rather than messing around with casters or some such devices maybe you could permanently attach some of those saucer sized furniture glides to strategic locations on the bottom of cabinet.

You are transparent! I see many things;
I see plans within plans. The Spice must flow!

Hosting Services by ipHouse