The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Sunday June 2, 2002 at 06:03
Sheik_Yerbouhti
Founding Member
April 2002
cmo said... Sheik_Yerbouhti - you mentioned that you used a panel that had a volume limiter on it.

cmo: What I said was..

"My control unit has that function and no matter how many times the UP arrow on the keypad is pressed the local volume will not exceed the preset."

That max volume function is decided at the multizone controller itself when the system is setup - the keypads are uniquely addressable. Each keypad has a home-run of Cat5 to the controller. (They are daisy-chainable but if you've got a bad wire it's more work to troubleshoot.) When the controller gets a request it knows (by keypad address) which zone requested which source and the max volume that should be sent to that zone. No audio signal is distributed to or through the keypads, rather the keypads each send installer defined pre-programmed commands back to the controller via the Cat5. The controller has six 40wpc stereo amps and the audio is sent directly to each zone's speakers through regular speaker cable as commands are entered at a given zone's keypad. These keypads also accept and relay IR commands to the controller which then distributes them to the sources. The controller and keypads are both from Audioaccess.

There are keypads that DO have the volume limit function at the keypad - I read another post that mentions Russound having governors on the back.

You are transparent! I see many things;
I see plans within plans. The Spice must flow!

Hosting Services by ipHouse