The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 22 made on Saturday June 1, 2002 at 18:40
cmo
Founding Member
April 2002
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't replied earlier as I have been away for the last few weeks.

Superb response from you guys and some interesting opinions.

The original setup has changed somewhat, it was originally a Rotel RC972 pre amp with a RB971 power amp and a pair of Sonance Mariner 200 speakers
(Rotel was off their original hifi system).

The problem wasn't that the speakers weren't loud enough(they have neighbours after all) but that the kids (teenagers!) kept turning the volume up too much
and blowing the speakers. This being possible because control was through a Xantech WPK1 waterproof (outdoors panel).
Sheik_Yerbouhti - you mentioned that you used a panel that had a volume limiter on it. How does this work as the Xantech simply relays infra red commands back to the Rotel pre and doesn't monitor the actual volume in any way.

Anyhow the system has now changed to the same Rotel RC972 and a Rotel RB1066 6 channel power amp along with three pairs of Boston Voyager pros, since the Rotel power amp has gain controls for each stereo pair I can limit the maximum volume.

For the technically minded here:-

speaker cable is QED Qudos (heavily shielded 79 strand, not sure on equivalent gauge) about 5m, 10m and 15m stereo pairs (er about 17,33 and 50ft).
Ambient noise probably depends on the weather, screaming kids.

I don't suppose this is the most theoretically technically correct way of getting the best from the speakers although it does let me sleep easy at night and not having to dread the next phone call of 'The've blown again'.
I just hope the little blighters don't discover the gain controls!

Thanks again for all your advice

Hosting Services by ipHouse