The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 339 made on Saturday April 14, 2007 at 14:26
PHSJason
Advanced Member
December 2002
On April 14, 2007 at 13:22, tsvisser said...
i don't think anyone should use this thread specifically
as the determining factor of whether they are going to
investigate lifeware or not... or at least not the fact
that lifeware pulled out, but perhaps the technical content
of the thread.

The problem is that there is very little actual technical discussion from EI. There were a few tidbits, but by-and-large, the majority of EI's technical claims refer to AMX/Crestron. Throughout the thread, they make claims like "we can do 95% of what AMX/Crestron can do". When asked to provide an equipment list for a simple system, they said "no comment"(not saying that my system is what made them leave, but I never did get a complete answer other than "let's take this off-line and have some kool-aid together"). If they are going to make claims like 95%, then they better be able to deliver 95%. More importantly, I want to know what 5% they can't do so I can ensure that 5% is not something that is crucial to my business.

Personally, I feel like they left for two reasons.

One was Other's exceptional post. If I was in management at EI, I would have that sucker printed, handed out to all the staff, and then discussed in depth at the next meeting.

Two was my system. I honestly do not think they can do that system. I understand that EI is based around MCE so it wasn't designed to control DVD players/tuners etc, but rather to have them built into the MCE machine. However, if this is the case, does this mean that I am not supposed to sell anymore DVD players/tuners/CD players/etc? Should I trade several decent margin, simple items for a low-margin integrated machine? This approach does not fit my business plan. I want to be able to sell seperate units where each unit fits the needs of the client. I want to have the ability to remove them if they need servicing without taking the whole system down. I want to be able to upgrade them when needed. As part of this, I want to be able to sell a system built with MCE as a source that can be used throughout the house, but I do not want it to run the house and be the ONLY source. An automation system needs to be built around being able to control devices, not replace them.

I think Josh's feelings were just an excuse to leave the discussion. I did get an e-mail from Emma about contacting them to get a system design(I think she thought that I was a customer). I would reply and ask them off-line to do the system, but at the bottom of the e-mail is a legal disclaimer about sharing the contents of that e-mail. If I get some info like pricing/specs, I am sure they will come with the same legal warning that I am not supposed to talk about them. Look at how secretive they have been about pricing so far. Come on guys, it's called MSRP for a reason. Open up, talk facts, and only talk about what YOU can and cannot do.

Hosting Services by ipHouse