The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 275 made on Wednesday April 11, 2007 at 08:24
dlewis
Long Time Member
April 2007
Thanks for the quick response QQQ. When I say price conscious, I'm not looking to spend $200,000 on a system... I'd like to get insight into what system I should go with that has all the functionality that I need, but is the best for my pocket.

I can see what you mean about not being clear. Hopefully this clears it up:

Video - 5 Bed Rooms, 1 Media Room and 1 Living Room (7 Rooms for Video):

1) Each room should have the ability watch 7 different live-S/HD-TV feeds while being
able to record those feeds.
2) Each rooms should be able to access media (dvd/pictures,etc...) while being able to
watch to the same movie at the same time. Room A is watching "The
Matrix" and room B is watching "The Matrix" but at different points of the movie.
3) I guess each room would be its own video zone.

Audio - 5 Bed Rooms, 1 Media Room, 1 Living Room, 1 Dining Room, 2 Areas Outdoor, (Approximately 11 zones for Audio):

1) Approximately 21 Speakers (not including media room speakers)
2) Each rooms should be able to access media (music, etc...) while being able to
listen to the same song at the same time. Room A is listening to Michael Jacksons
"Thriller" and room B is istening to Michael Jacksons "Thriller" but at different points
of the song.

Lighting - Don't know how many switches their are... Approximately 18 zones for
lighting

Security - No security system installed yet, but I would like the system to be able to
handle security as well. We also have wiring set up for video cameras.

HVAC - Central air conditioning is installed. I would like the system to control this as
well.

Irrigation - I would like the system to be able to control this.

Pool/Spa - No pool yet, but their might be one installed in the future. I would like the
system to be able to control this.

Appliances - In the future, I might want to use appliances like the Connect Io
Intelligent Oven, I want the system to be able to control that as well.

Phone System - I have Panasonic KX-TD1232-7 with a KX-TVS120 voicemail system.
If the system can, I would like for it to be integrated with the
phone/messaging system. We use Cat-5e for the wiring, so VOIP is
also an option.

I want to be able to control the systems via a touch-screen, pda, over the network via a computer, on the TV, etc...

Hopefully that gives a clearer picture of the situation.

I said I did not prefer proprietary, but if I did and had to go the proprietary route, I'd like to choose a system that allows for the most customization and will still give me the functionality that I need (still with the price conscious thing in mind). The reason I did not like Crestron/AMX was because of how "complicated" their systems were. I am not a serious programmer (although I have a ASP .NET background). I want to be able to configure/customize/troubleshoot my system if my installer/initial programmer is not available to come in and fix things...

I appreciate your input. Hopefully more people can jump in and give their opinion as well. Thanks.

-DLewis

Hosting Services by ipHouse