Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 213 made on Wednesday February 21, 2007 at 12:56
BigPapa
October 2005
On 1172075092, Small Axe said...
To play devil's advocate for a minute I do believe that
many of us CI's need to get our heads out of the sand.

2) There is a good possibility that hardware will become
a commodity - most of it already has. Software is where
many will head.

If it happens, then I'll get a real job. But the fact is that ego and human psychology still have a dramatic impact on the future of our industry: nobody wants to work with somebody else's standard. Once all displays, speakers, amps, and other devices all have Ethernet ports and the plug n play software always works, then I'll accept the fact that the HW has acheived full commoditization and work at a winery, golf course, or become a sous chef. It's happened somewhat on displays and speakers, but there are forces that counteract that. It seems that there's a consumer/commoditized version of hardware, and the pro-only set that's not commodotized. Maybe it will stay that way for awhile in a psuedo stalemate, or the creep will continue. But, that's getting off of the thread, to which I don't want to derail.

What my key point is that LW seems to be offering a SW solution, but I think the best solutions are the ones that offer SW and HW together from the same source. The marketing material will sell it as 'equipment agnostic' but our experience with these things has been 'equipment anarchist.' That's why many of us aren't about to jump in with both feet.

Having said that, I'm interested and will keep looking. I've no ill will against LW or CQS and think they bring another angle to our repotoire.

Hosting Services by ipHouse