|
This is where our philosophy is pretty different, you would have to
actually demo an EI system to a sophisticated homeowner to
beleive. Currently we don't want the GUI to be different from house
to house, this allows easier use factor, just like we all drop an email
from Outlook the same way, we want the user experience to be
streamlined. THere is menu and function flexibility, but not GUI
changes.

Isn't this making a 'feature' out of a lack of something that every other serious product offers? How does an installer provide any sort of real look and feel for their systems if they cannot customize the GUI any way they want, i.e. provide differentiation to their delivered solutions? Given that we are constantly being beaten on from all sides to increase the customization capabilities of our touch screen design system, and that every other product seems to have the same pressures, I'm just having trouble seeing as how this a good thing.

And I don't really think that the Outlook analogy applies. I may go from one computer to another at work and home and such, and the availabilty of a standardized (read: Non-Optimized for any Given Purpose) interface makes sense for what general use computers are for, where you have many applications all at use on the same screen and you want to have some commonality. But it doesn't apply to custom automation system touch screen interfaces, which in many cases exist specifically to create highly targeted interfaces for specific applications. I'm not going to be going to your house and messing with your automation system.

Isn't this is more of an issue that, being MCE based, you don't have the ability to do a lot of customiziation of the user interface to begin with?

Last edited by Dean Roddey on February 18, 2007 16:02.
Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com

Hosting Services by ipHouse