Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 45 made on Sunday February 18, 2007 at 00:00
2nd rick
August 2002
On February 17, 2007 at 23:14, Steve@EI said...
I have lived with, sold and installed the other "great"
systems, they can't perform on the same level as enterprise
based microsoft software product. Quit kidding yourself.

Wow... an empirical statement that we are no longer relevant... I am marking this, it's ~10:30 CST on Feb. 17, 2007.

Nice...

Here is an empirical statement from 2R right back at'cha...

Anything that runs on a Microsoft Windows OS will be subject to screen freeze, lock up, upgrade request window pop-ups, reboots, etc...

That's why in "enterprise" applications, a FULL TIME IT STAFF is required to manage the interaction of the hardware, software, peripherals, and operators. THIS is what is missing from your argument.

Here is why that is not my cup of tea for a home unit that is allowed to interact with fairly important elements of home control...

Anytime something wigs out and that resource of on-staff IT pros are not available, there will be a long line of friends, family, babysitter's boyfriends, and neighborhood kids who are "computer guys" and are willing to step in and attempt troubleshoot it because it appears to be like the OS on their laptops or home PCs... So it will get all f*cked up JUST LIKE their laptops and PCs to the point that is may require an OS wipe/rebuild... I am fairly confident that these parties will not have nearly as much access to put their mark on a system comprised of Crestron, AMX, RTI, Elan, HAI, etc.

I would rather "keep writing code" and NEVER have to deal with Windows in this context...
Rick Murphy
Troy, MI

Hosting Services by ipHouse