Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday August 27, 2008 at 00:13
doopid
August 2004
I know this has been covered several times in the past but there was no clear answer.

My situation is not unique to the masses but new to me...

I installed an extensive Crestron system a couple of years back. I naturally provided a completely customized program for the client. I've maintained the system for the client all this time. This client is one of the nicest, finiest clients anyone could have. (for the record)

I have written some convenient modules for myself to simplify my programming over the years and implement them into ALL my code writing for all my jobs.

The client sells his home. New home owner asks me to come in and "tidy up" a few things to his liking. After a few visits, several scheduling conflicts, conversations about how he can get "that" item for less, new home owner gets pushy, no longer wants me to do the work and just wants the program so he can get someone else to do the work.

I say he does not own my "intellectual property" mainly because it's; my code, my modules. He, of course, says he owns the program.

Aside from not knowing what the arrangement was when he bought the home... (I'm sure this topic did not come up), he says he'll have his lawyer contact me. I explained I have no contract or liability to you whatsoever. As a matter of fact, he owes me for my services performed, in the mean time. (Waiting for TV services to become available).

One does not go to KFC and ask Col. Sanders for his batter recipe so they can make their own fried chicken.

I'm not budging on this. I've worked too long and hard (self taught) on this Crestron programming, that I should just give it away. It's not for sale.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Hosting Services by ipHouse