The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Friday October 7, 2005 at 00:20
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Really just one, because your points all seem totally valid.

The channels used by the cable company for their HD channels are in the higher numbers, above those numbers used for analog channels. You can't see any of them by tuning them in with a cable box or a VCR.

The signals on them will, however, mess up modulated channels that you now use. You might lose the ability to send modulated channels out at all, or find they all have to be higher than cable channel 100. I have seen modulators that don't go that high, so if this is your case, you might have to buy another modulator just to find out if you can keep this feature of your system.

Otherwise, have fun, and remember this is from a guy who still recommends satellite but sees how good the cable companies have gotten...but I think their cable boxes stink...

Ah, let me go on a bit here. I have seen cable boxes where, when you hit guide, you get the guide at channel 2. No matter where you were. If you are on a music channel, you hit guide and it shows you channel 2...and the music channels are on a separate guide, accessed through the menu, so if you don't know what channel you want, you have to go hunt and peck.

I have seen MOXI boxes not able to be made to work. And good ones. And cable companies that know what to do, and those that don't (all within the same area!).

The MOXI box has a revolting menu system. When you open the menu, scroll to what you want, and hit enter to get some change, it changes. Next time you open the menu, you are in that same place. Because there is no standard menu opening screen, you can never tell what buttons you will have to hit to do something. This makes automation via macros impossible.

The latest cable HD DVR I have seen comes on on channel 1, the music on demand channel. Just like the Motel 6 TV. How classy. And we put its HDMI output into a Gefen HDMI switcher...when we switch the HDMI switcher to the DVD signal, then switch back, the cable box is back on channel 1. Just like Motel 6. How classy.

So the programs will give you little problem, but the boxes are just another strange breed.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse